April 20, 2008

Mahi-Mahi with Blood Orange, Avocado, and Red Onion Salsa

Finally Spring is arriving in New York, which means that bathing suit season is creeping up around the corner. Got it. Note to self—Ben & Jerry’s stash needs to be replaced with fat free sorbet, fries must be eliminated from diet, no more afternoon snacks are allowed, and cheese plates…well, let’s not go too crazy.

In my quest for a light dinner I found this recipe for mahi-mahi with salsa from Bon Appetit’s February 2005 issue. This is an extremely simple recipe that is quick, tasty, and will help you fit into that yellow polka dotted bikini come summertime (or man-kini for you courageous guys out there). The recipe calls for mahi-mahi, but really any white fish should work. The fishmonger at my market did not have mahi-mahi so I used hake. Tilapia should also be a good substitute.

The recipe calls for sautéing the fish in a skillet, which will give the fish a nice lightly browned top. However, if you live in a tiny apartment without an exhaust fan in the kitchen “nook” area like myself, you may want to resort to baking the fish instead. The fish won’t look as fancy, but your apartment—and your guests—will thank you for it. Just set the oven to 350 degrees, wrap the fish in tin foil with some olive oil, and cook for 35-40 minutes per pound.

Lastly, the recipe suggests that you top the fish with the salsa. I found that there was so much salsa that it completely covered the fish (yes, there is a fish hidden in that picture above). For presentation purposes, I suggest serving the salsa on the side or under the fish with a little reserved for the top.

So here is the Bon Appetit recipe for 2 servings:
  • 1 blood orange, Cara Cara orange, or regular orange
  • 1/2 cup 1/3-inch cubes avocado
  • 1/3 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 teaspoons minced red jalapeño
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 6-ounce mahi-mahi fillets
  1. Using small sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from orange. Working over small bowl, cut between membranes to release segments.
  2. Add avocado, onion, jalapeño, and lime juice to oranges in bowl; stir gently to blend.
  3. Season salsa to taste with salt.
  4. Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Add fish to skillet and sauté until brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
  5. Place 1 fillet on each of 2 plates. Spoon salsa atop fish and serve.
Enjoy!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! You're back! Although I'm not the best chef, nor do I have the facilities right now to cook at all, I love your blog! I'll send it to my Mum and all the 'chefs' I know ;-).

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! She's back! You have made my day Kristin.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Ms. O'C said...

Welcome back! So happy to be reading your recipes again! And as usual, these are lovely photos.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

ooh, this looks yummy my dear. and not too diety either.

do you think there will be good cheese at laura's wedding? I live in hope!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

the above comment was from sara from e by the way.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try. I bet this could be really good as fish tacos too.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home