April 16, 2006

Easter Bunny Gifts

So, did the Easter Bunny visit you this morning? He visited me! What I love about this special rabbit is that he keeps in tune with what I want to find in my Easter basket each year. This year, he recognized that I now I crave kitchen gadgets so today the Easter Bunny brought me an oven thermometer and meat thermometer. So exciting, right?!

The oven thermometer is made by Taylor and clips securely onto my oven’s rack. Did you know that most ovens are not actually accurate in temperature? I do not bake that often, but when I do, I want to feel confident that the oven’s temperature is correct. Especially since my oven is by no means anything to brag about!

My new meat thermometer is also made by Taylor. It is so cool! Tonight I baked pork tenderloin and it was perfectly cooked to an internal temperature of 170 degrees. No more guessing if the meat is done. No more pulling the meat out of the oven, cutting it, and then determining if it should go back in. I also love my new thermometer because the dial shows the points of beef cooked rare, medium, and well done. This is all so very exciting—thank you, Mr. Easter Bunny!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay- I have a boring practical question for my favorite chef :) I see how the meat thermometer might work well on a big slab of meat. But what if you are just cooking a chicken breast or pork chop? I feel like the thermometer might not work with those... can you lay it on its side?

10:12 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Alison, this is not a boring question at all--meat thermometers are always an exciting topic!

To answer your question, I found that even with the pork ternderloin the thermometer wasn't standing up on its own very well. Since you should place the thermometer's tip just past the center of the meat, this does not always leave much room for a good hold.

So what I did was stick it in at a slant so that the tip was still just past the center, but a greater portion of the needle was held by the meat. I also placed it sio that the face of the thermometer rested on the wall of the dish. I think with these tricks, it should work with chicken or pork chops!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home