February 22, 2006

White Turkey Chili

This has been a hectic week at work as I am trying to catch up from my days away from the office while dealing with several clients’ deadlines. So when I come home, I am in the mood for something hearty yet easy.

I was looking through one of the seven food magazines I subscribe to (I started with three, but then my mom went a bit overboard subscribing four more for me—you see, she is quite excited that I am following her footsteps with my love of food!), and read a recipe for white turkey chili. This was just what I was in the mood for, so it became my dinner earlier tonight.

My thoughts? I really liked it, and will definitely make it again! This recipe is really quick and easy (it took me about 20-30 minutes to make), healthy, and tasty. It has a more subtle, clean taste than that of regular chili. You should try it!

Here is the recipe I used (per 1 hearty serving, adapted from Everyday Food):
  • 2-3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (Take seeds out for mild flavoring, or keep some in if you want it hot. Also, be sure to wash hands right after you handle the pepper! The oils can be very painful if they find their way into your eyes or a cut!)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp coriander (See note 1)
  • Salt and pepper
  • ¼ lb ground turkey
  • 1 can cannelloni beans (14 ounces), drained and rinsed
  • ¾ cup chicken or turkey broth
  • Cilantro and sour cream, to garnish
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent. About 3 to 4 minutes.
  2. Add ground turkey, breaking up with spoon, and cook until no longer pink about 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add beans and broth. Turn heat to high until the broth begins to boils. Once boiling starts, turn heat back to medium and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Mash some of the beans with the back of spoon.
  4. Serve in bowl garnished with sour cream and cilantro.

Enjoy!

Notes:
1) Did you know that coriander is simply cilantro seeds grounded up? Well, it is. It originates from Morroca and Romania, and is common in Indian food. Know where else it is found? Gin and American cigarettes. Huh? Well, that is what the Culinary Cafe told me!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well fancy that... I have some ground turkey in the freezer and some cannelloni beans in the cupboard. All I needed was a recipe - will try this ASAP.
(p.s cannelloni or canoli beans ???!!!!:)

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was super delicious and a nice, comforting Sunday evening dinner.
If you are feeling lazy about chopping the jalapeno, I used chili powder which was great too! YUM.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home