February 06, 2006

Super Bowl Party Treats

O'Hara and Christina have been hosting their Super Bowl parties for the past five years, and this year was particularly a big one because O'Hara is from Seattle and Christina's family lives in Pittsburg (for those of you not in the know, these are the two cities whose teams played in the Super Bowl--I only learned this a few days ago myself!). I have to admit that this was my first year to attend the big, famous party and now I know to never turn down another one of their Super Bowl party invitations again!

O'Hara and Christina went all out for this party. There were about 30 people who came, and I think there was enough food for about 60 people! Oh gosh, where do I start? They had two types of chili--meat and veggie. I of course opted for the meat chili. Now I know I am a bit bias, but my friend Carrie and I make the world's best chili so I wasn't expecting much from O'Hara and Christina's (sorry guys!) BUT it really was good! They also set up in three cute bowls cheddar cheese, sour cream, and cilantro to top off the chili.

As I served myself some chili, O'Hara turned on the oven to start cooking the chicken wings. They bought one batch of wings pre-made, and made a second batch of wings themselves by just rubbing hot sauce and worcheshire sauce onto the chicken. As O'Hara was working on this, Christina was finishing up the “pig in a blanket”. Can I tell you how much I love these? I think they are so underrated, frankly. Christina just took miniature hotdogs and wrapped them with Pillsbury crescent roll dough. She then popped them in the oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, or until browned.

Another one of my favorites is seven layer dip. Yum! O'Hara makes it with refried black beans, sour cream mixed with taco seasoning, black olives, canned sliced jalapeños, chopped tomatoes, avocado pureed with a little salt, cheddar cheese, and scallions (for those of you counting, it was actually eight layers!) and then she pops it in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese. Another chip accessory they had was homemade salsa. Christina makes this by taking a can of chopped tomatoes and adding cilantro and onion to taste.

Now, no party can do with out cheese so they also had two cheese logs. Both cheese logs were made by mixing cheddar cheese with cream cheese and then adding red pepper, onion, and worcheshire sauce. They also added smoked salmon to one of the logs--so good! Both logs were then rolled in chopped nuts and parsley to make them look as pretty as they tasted.

In addition to all this great Super Bowl food, some of the guests brought food too! Samantha and her boyfriend made a football cake and others brought brownies (so good), salami, dips, and the list goes on.

Oh, and did I mention that O'Hara and Christina got a quarter keg of Brooklyn Lager? They kept it in their tub and decorated it with little footballs. My favorite was the ducky sitting on the tub dressed in his football gear. So cute! They also made jello shots in the colors of the teams playing.

Wow, with all this food and beer, something tells me that O'Hara and Christina will be eating Super Bowl food and finishing off that keg for the next week! Mmm, may be they need me to come over for dinner this week to help...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i feel so honored!
thanks so much for the rave reviews!
you are the best!
to many more sb parties, and steeler victories!
xo christina.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great pictures! that's right- now you know what you have been missing all these years... i'm so happy you came!
-o

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cake decorating skills clearly need some work, but thanks for including the picture! Next year we will use white frosting tinted orangey brown to get it closer to the color of pigskin...

Sam

11:38 AM  
Blogger Warren B. said...

Glad you liked the cake! As Sam said above, next year we'll get closer to the right color (though no actual pigs will be skinned during the making of our cake), and maybe I'll break out a compass to make sure the three segments fit together better.

-- warren

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheese logs, 7-layer dip, and pigs in blankets all at one party...I'm overwhelmed (in a good way). I'm vying for a spot on O'Hara & Christina's guest list for next year!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home