February 08, 2006

Rosemary Garlic Bean Spread

Oh how I love food! This here is the perfect dish to snack on or to entertain with. Oh, and with a glass of wine it is the perfect treat! The rosemary and garlic are quite pronounced in this spread, which provides a fun burst of flavor with every bite.

I choose fagioli cannellini beans for this spread because they have a subtle taste that allows for the rosemary and garlic to shine through nicely. I also like these beans because they are larger and can mush-up a little bit for the spread.

So here is what you need:
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I never use measurements but usually have an idea of how much to write down for my recipes. This here I am a little unsure about--you may need a little more.)
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced (I use two because I love the strong garlic flavor!)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (Fine, you can use dried but it isn't as good--y'all know how I feel about dried herbs! If you use dry, use about 1 tbsp).
  • 1 can (14 oz) of fagioli cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Sliced baguette bread (really, any nice bread will work--I just like the size of baguette slices)
  1. Mix olive oil, garlic, and rosemary together in a bowl (duh, who would use a plate? but I feel that I should say it anyway to sound professional)
  2. Add beans and mix until the beans are fully coated with mixture.
  3. With the back of your spoon, press down on the beans a few times--just enough to slightly mush them.
  4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least a few hours. You do this to allow the flavors to meld together and the beans soak up all that goodness. Additionally, it helps soften the rosemary.
  6. Before serving, let beans sit at room temperature for a little while (at least 20 minutes). No one wants to eat frigidly cold beans!
  7. Dabble onto baguette slices and serve (or of course you can serve it in a small bowl with the bread on the side for people to serve themselves.)
Yum-yum! Keep in mind that the beans by themselves may taste a bit strong in flavor, but once combined with the bread, the flavor will mellow out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home