February 02, 2006

Feeling Blah Chicken Pot Pie without the Chicken or the Pie or Most the Vegetables

So I don't think this will make the recipe books, but it was just what I was in the mood for tonight. I think my body is flirting with having a cold because I feel so blah. And when I feel blah, I always crave chicken pot pie. My problem--I didn’t want to go through the effort of actually making chicken pot pie! When feeling blah, that is way too much effort!

I didn't feel like dealing with the pastry or the chicken, and well, there are just too many vegetables to worry about too. So ultimately I decided that what I really wanted was the yummy filling simplified by using one ingredient. I went with mushrooms since, well, they are the easiest (I of course bought them pre-sliced).

I have to admit that I have never made chicken pot pie so I sort of winged my way through this (another reason why I don’t think this will make the recipe books). Since I do not recall the measurements so much, I will talk you through it.

I started by making a roux to help give the "soup" some thickness. To make a roux, you just cook equal parts butter and flour until it turns a soft brown (I used about 2 tbsp of each; this process takes away the flour taste). I then added the mushrooms and sprinkled them with salt to help bring out their moisture. I had about two cups of mushrooms, but I would recommend using only one cup. When the mushrooms had cooked through, I then added the chicken broth--about two cups. From here I seasoned with salt and pepper, and added about two tablespoons of thyme. The final result was just what I was looking for--the perfect comfort food that took no effort!

If I were making this again and wanted to serve it to others, I would add a little sour cream. I love sour cream in soups. I know, I know, it probably sounds weird but it gives soups a nice creaminess with a light taste. I would also added some lemon juice or zest to lighten the flavors and bring out the thyme more. I think these changes would help make the soup more special. However, for tonight, it really was just what I was in the mood for! So if you are feeling blah, I do recommend this chicken pot pie without the chicken or the pie or the vegetables!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this receipe but it took me a minute to find it! I like it when the receipes are in bullet point format instead of paragraph format, then I can find them easily and know right away if I have the ingredients (what my shopping list might be) and if I like them. ~Heather

10:06 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks for your suggestion Heather! I agree too and plan to keep most my recipes in bullet form...

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm that looks like a good mushroomy comforting soup! I will have to try.

I definitely like sour cream in soup too. Sometimes I also try yogurt - in carrot soups or curry soups for example.

Thanks :)

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home